Sunday, May 24, 2020

Sophia


I could smell these lilacs yesterday as I approached them.  When I was a kid I liked to cut them from a bush in our yard and bring them into the house to enjoy the scent.
Written about 200 years before Christ, another Old Testament book that only Catholics use is Sirach (Ecclesiasticus).  In chapter 24 Wisdom praises herself with characteristics which in the New Testament will  be applied to the person of the Word or to the Spirit.  The New Jerusalem Bible says, "The passage seems to have been one of the principal sources of inspiration for the prologue of the Fourth Gospel, in which several of Wisdom's activities and attributes are ascribed to the Logos (Word)."
Wisdom says, "The Creator of all things instructed me, 'Pitch your tent in Jacob, make Israel your inheritance.' From eternity, in the beginning, he created me, and for eternity I shall remain." 
Written around the same time, Baruch, another Old Testament book that only Catholics use says of Wisdom, "So she appeared on earth and lived with humankind."(3:37)
Using feminine terms to talk about God may help some people to grow in their relationship with God, especially those whose own father was distant or even abusive. 
Outdoor Mass may begin towards the end of June, maybe even later.

No comments: