Friday, May 15, 2020

Ho!


"Ho! everyone who thirsts, come to the waters....Come, buy wine and milk without money."  That's the beginning of Isaiah 55:1-11, one of the readings for the Easter Vigil, that I decided to use for today's meditation.  It looked like it had a lot of food for thought, but I didn't get beyond the first two verses.
First of all, I've never come upon "Ho!" in the Bible before.  The Catholic translations don't have it, but the New Revised Standard Version and the Jewish Study Bible have it.  Its like Isaiah is yelling at any passerby to get their attention, "Why do you spend your money for that which does not satisfy?"
I ended up asking myself what I was thirsty for, what I was hungry for, what would really satisfy me.
I kept wondering whether I was being honest with myself with some answers I came up with.  It's  something to think about for a long time.

No comments: