Thursday, May 7, 2020

Heart of Flesh


Since we are still in Easter season, it might be helpful to meditate on some of the readings for the Easter Vigil which none of us experienced this year.  God speaks to us through the words of Ezekiel 36:16-28 to tell us that he is bringing us home from exile.  God stresses that we have done nothing to deserve his mercy.  God intends to show God's holiness through us.
This passage was meaningful after my heart surgery.  It has added meaning in this pandemic.  It also makes a very personal prayer to ask God to make us holy.  Here is part of the very beautiful translation by the International Commission on English in the Liturgy:

I will make you a new heart,
breathe new spirit into you.
I will remove your heart of stone,
give you back a heart of flesh.

I will give you my own spirit
to lead you in my ways
faithful to what I command....

You will be my people
and I will be your God.


No comments: