Thursday, May 14, 2020

Beloved


When I was a high school chaplain John 15:10-17 was probably the Gospel the students most requested.  They were very taken with Jesus' saying, "I have called you friends."  Friendship is very important to teens.
Ray Brown's translation has "I have called you my beloved."  He insists that the Greek word translated "friends" involves a much more intimate love.  "No one can have greater love that this: to lay down his life for those he loves."  The intimacy is strong when we think of the Risen Christ present to us now speaking these words of love to us.  "I am saying this to you so that my joy may be yours and your joy may be fulfilled....Love one another as I have loved you." 
Living in us, the Risen Christ shares his way of loving with us, so we can love him and love one another as he does.

No comments: