Friday, May 29, 2020

Holy Air



It feels so good to get out in the fresh air and sunshine after weeks of staying indoors.  I do walk every morning, even days in  May when the air was cold and I had to wear my winter coat.  This is the first view I see as I start my walk.  Three mornings ago I was tickled to see the leaves on the trees had begun to open up. Today,with more warm air, they are almost fully open.
In recent years as I tried to find immaterial ways to think of God, one that seemed perfect to me was simply air itself.  I've suggested it to people who find their traditional images of God no longer satisfying.  We don't have any image that fits the living God exactly, but God is like the air all around us, Air that loves us.
As I have written here "Air" is one of the four meanings of "pneuma," the Greek word used in the Bible for the Holy Spirit.  Holy Air warms our hearts with love and opens us to bring delight to all who know us.

No comments: