Saturday, May 9, 2020

God In All Things



I live now not I, but Christ lives in me.  (Galatians 2:20)

May 9 snow in the time of the virus.

We Catholics are a sacramental church.  Jesus is the primordial sacrament through whom God comes to us..  We, the church, are the secondary sacrament through whom God comes to our world. We have seven sacraments, actions that bring God to us.
That doesn't exhaust our sacramental imagination.   Recognizing God in people and in water and bread and wine has prepared us to find God in every blessed beautiful thing in nature and in art.  Lack of access to church buildings or to the church's public worship does not mean lack of access to God.  There are still many ways that we can grow in our relationship with God, until we joyfully gather once more in Eucharist. 

Mechthild of Magdeburg: "The day of my spiritual awakening was the day I saw--and knew I saw--all things in God and God in all things."
Thomas Merton: "Indeed we exist solely for this, to be the place God has chosen for his Presence."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning: "Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush alive with God."
St. Teresa of Avila: "You need only be in silence and you will come upon God within yourself."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Every day when I read your blog, which I look forward to more than I can express, I feel God's hand working through you. Your wisdom and compassion help us to navigate through this difficult time. May God continue to bless you and your extraordinary work. Thank you for being there for us.