Friday, April 3, 2020

Why have you abandoned me!


My scripture meditations this week have been on successive parts of Mathew's Passion Account.  Today after reading 27:45-56, my attention went to "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me!"  After everyone else has abandoned and mocked him, now Jesus feels abandoned by God and cries out in the first verse of Psalm 22.  With the pandemic on my mind, I found myself wanting to pray the whole psalm.  Here are a few verses:

"By day, Lord, you are deaf to my prayers
  and at night you only answer me with silence.
 My tongue is like baked clay.
  It sticks to the roof of my mouth.
 Look at the holes they have torn
  in my hands and my feet.
 Each bone that I own is in pain,
  though their gloating is harder to bear."

God does intervene and the lament changes to praise and thanksgiving.

 "Those that hunger for you will be satisfied,
   those that look for you will find you.
  And out of their overflowing hearts,
   their joy will pronounce your name."

(The translation is from Gordon Jackson's Lincoln Psalter)

No comments: