Sunday, July 19, 2020

Kingdom of "Heaven"?


I'm still here.  I haven't had the energy to do a blog.  I am having trouble with my breathing.  Had a pet-scan and biopsy last week and am waiting for the results.  Please pray for me.
Last weekend, this weekend, and next we've been reading parables about "the Kingdom of Heaven" from Matthew's Gospel.  I think it''s worth repeating that Matthew,as a reverent Jew, uses "Heaven" as a substitute for the name "God."  Every year the Gospel reading was from Matthew's until the 1970's when we got a three year cycle of readings.  When I was young I thought Jesus was talking about  the place where we go when we die.
Another help is that the Greek word that is translated "kingdom" is better translated "reign."  So we get the reign of God is like seed growing enormously, like yeast hidden in dough, like a treasure hidden in a field.  Reign of God helps me to think of letting God's love rule over my heart and quietly and abundantly change me.  Not just individuals,  the Reign of God that Jesus announces is taking over the whole world.  It doesn't always seem that way, but each of us letting God rule our hearts spreads the Reign of God.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

May God bless and protect you Father Paul. I've been thinking about you and your previous inspiring message all week. Praying all is fine with you.

Dudley said...

You have been in my prayers, Father. You are such an inspiration! God bless you

Unknown said...

Definitely prayers coming...

Let nothing disturb you... All things are passing away.... God alone suffices.
St. Theresa of Avila

Tressa said...

Many prayers and much love ❤️