Sunday, July 5, 2020

Hope


Hope is only hope when things seem hopeless.  Our nation is the oldest enduring republic in the history of the world, with a set of political institutions and traditions that have stood the test of time.  We have lost a lot of the world's respect recently.  Through the prophet Ezekiel God offers us hope (36:24-28): "I will give you my own spirit to lead you in my ways faithful to what I command.  Then you will live in the land the land I gave your ancestors.  You will be my people and I will be your God."
We have talked so much about the separation of church and state that we may not remember that, while our country was not founded on a particular denomination, it was founded on a kind of natural religion that almost all the great faiths of the world have in common: belief in God, an after-life, divine reward and punishment, responsibility to others.  Roger Williams, the strong proponent of the separation of church and state insisted that natural religion was a necessary condition for any free republic to maintain order and to be effective.  Our Declaration of Independence says that "all men are created."  We needn't be bashful about it.

No comments: