Sunday, April 11, 2010

Faith from Love

 

Easter sunrise.
In John's Gospel the only disciple who comes to faith without seeing the Risen Jesus is the man called "the disciple whom Jesus loved." When he sees only the empty tomb we are told "he believed." When Jesus appears to the other disciples on Easter night, they believe. The following week when Thomas sees the Risen Jesus, he believes. Jesus says, "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
That would be the community for whom the Gospel was written as well as all who have read it down through the centuries.
But first of all that would be "the disciple whom Jesus loved." I wonder if it's his being loved by Jesus that brings him to believe in Jesus without seeing him.
When someone loves me and looks out for me I find myself believing in them. Being loved by Jesus brings me to believe in him.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: