Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Who ya gonna love?


I haven't had internet service since Sunday morning.  My phone also was unreliable.  Turns out some towers were down in our area, but I don't know why that would affect both internet and phone.
Well, Monday I meditated on Matthew 10:37-42 which is this coming Sunday's Gospel. Of the warnings and advice that Matthew collects here, the verse I found most poignant was, "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me.  And whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." When I was little I couldn't imagine loving God better than my mother and father.  As I grew older I was able to make some sense of the warning, but I also grew convinced that if someone didn't love their parents and relatives, they couldn't possibly love God.  Someone once told me that I love God only as much as the person I love the least.  I hope that's not true, but if we don't love people, we won't call attention to the Good News as Jesus wants us to.
This coming weekend the Catholic churches in Mountain Maryland are opening for Mass.  We are seeing an upswing in Covid 19 cases in some places where churches have opened.  Use you head.  Be cautious.  I will not be celebrating Mass for the foreseeable future.

No comments: