Tuesday, June 16, 2020

More Than Many Sparrows


A book I got a lot of comfort from in my later years in the seminary was called More Than Many Sparrows.  The quote comes from this coming Sunday's Gospel reading, Matthew 10:26-35.  The author of the book, if I remember correctly, took the verse out of the context of this Gospel and used it simply to stress how precious we are in God's sight.  Not even a sparrow dies without God knowing it and we are worth more than many sparrows.  Luke and Mark each use it in different contexts also.  Elizabeth Johnson, in a passage I just read this morning, uses it to point out God's intimate care of all creation.  I will never hear it without simply being comforted that God is constantly looking out for me.
The little fellow in the picture is a song sparrow who has an absolutely beautiful song.  In the picture he is eating the supper I fed him after he sang for it.

No comments: