Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Teilhard de Chardin


It's easy to forget that spring is as many colored as autumn.
On a three and a half hour drive by myself on Monday I listened to a retreat on DVD based on the writings of Teilhard de Chardin.  Now as I turn the calendar over to May, I find that today is his birthday (1881-1955.)  The retreat talks were the closest I've come to getting some grasp of his thought.
I have been curious about him since we had to sell his books "under the counter" in the seminary more than 50 years ago.  I found him very difficult to understand, but at the same time was sure that what he was saying was influencing my relationship with God.  Usually I have contented myself with quotes from him that don't begin to do justice to his thinking.  Some of them I have put on this blog.  I don't think that I've included the following which I used to have hung above my desk:
"Someday after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides, and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love.  Then for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire."
And another that is similar to my analogy of the Other World woven into and through this world:
"By means of all created things, without exception, the Divine assails us, penetrates us, and molds us.  We imagined it as distant and inaccessible, when in fact we live steeped in its burning layers."

No comments: