Friday, May 31, 2013

Beauty Needed


I have said in an earlier entry that I was so impressed with Gregory Wolfe's book, Beauty Will Save the World, that I resolved to do what I can to put more beauty in our world.  As I wandered through this iris farm, it occurred to me that the owners were doing more than their part. The look on peoples' faces made it clear that they were being drawn out of themselves into something greater, whether or not they had a "God-concept."  I think that might be part of what Wolfe means when he says that beauty saves us, takes us out of ourselves into relationship.
For  the last day of May my calendar tells me, "Restore your world with color and beauty."
At the bottom of the page for May is this quote from John Muir: "Everyone needs beauty...places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
The calendar comes from the creative sisters at Ministry of the Arts who are also doing more than their part to save the world with beauty.
Yesterday and today here have been beautiful, in the 80's, with grand blue skies and bright puffy clouds, and so clear you can see forever.

No comments: