Friday, May 10, 2013

Beauty strange and common


This morning's gift from the Lake gods.  Before I went out for my walk I put on shoes that I didn't mind getting wet.  We have had soaking rains.  I left the road where I always walk and followed a familiar stream into an area where I have never walked.  The Lake is unusually high and has pushed up into this stream that usually flows in a lazy little trickle into the Lake.  The strangeness added to the beauty of the moment.
The night before last I was watching a movie that turned out to be just ok, but in one sad scene the main character's mood is lifted by a singer doing a powerful version of  "I am a poor wayfaring stranger."  In additions to the meaning and the melody, the quality of the voice struck some chord deep within me.  I found it so electrifying that I felt like I had been transported into a place I had never been before. 
This afternoon I wandered through a greenhouse full of a wild variety of new flowers.  I took a long time absorbing the colors and scents before I choose what I will buy for my yard.
I expected to be caught up in the beauty of the greenhouse, but the meandering stream and the arresting voice surprised me out of myself.

No comments: