Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ray of Light


Did you see the Holy Spirit sitting on the chimney of the Sistine Chapel?  That was certainly my first thought when a sea gull landed on the chimney and stayed for about 40 minutes.  Not a dove, but close enough.  I couldn't help but thinking that the Holy Spirit was trying to hurry the Cardinals below into choosing the right man.
Instead of guessing what Pope Francis might do in the days and months ahead, I am impressed by how already he is showing us how to be disciples of Jesus.
When he was finally on the balcony, I was moved to tears when he asked us to pray for him and then bowed profoundly as the huge crowd fell silent in prayer for this humble man.  His humility is the first thing that strikes me as I hear about any number of things that he has done, like paying his own hotel bill.
In his brief opening remarks he did not refer to himself as the pope.  Instead, he used bishop of Rome.  "You all know that the duty of the Conclave was to give a bishop to Rome....I thank you for the welcome that has come from the diocesan community of Rome....And now let us begin this journey, the bishop and his people, this journey of the Church of Rome....Before the bishop blesses the people, I ask that you would pray to the Lord to bless me -- the prayer of the people for their bishop."  This is an accurate, more modest view of his office, as well as a sign of his personal humility.
Francis is showing us how to be a true disciple of Jesus by being humble.

No comments: