Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday with Bach


Just when I think I will never again see a blue sky, some sun broke through for a while today, and gave us this beautiful sky with the snow covered lake and shore below.
I planned to spend 12-3 PM in some extended prayer time today.  I began with a long walk in sometimes sun.  When I returned home a gift had been delivered.  One of the CDs was Bach's St. Matthew's Passion, just what Good Friday ordered.  I had never listened to it.  I had always found the length too intimidating.  This English translation helped a lot.
I sat on the couch where I do my downstairs praying.  It put me in the right mood.  When the disciples slept in the Garden of Olives, I admit that I dozed off.  Fortunately I didn't sleep through Jesus' whole agony.  I was surprised that an old hymn I've know since I was a child takes its melody and some of its words from this Passion.  "O Sacred Head Surrounded" is the hymn and, since I knew the melody, each time the chorale sang it I joined in.
The very last words sung by the chorus to Jesus are,
"Death, that holds Thee in its keeping,
   When its bonds are loosed by Thee,
 Shall become a welcome portal,
 Leading man to life immortal,
   Where he shall Thy glory see.
              Savior blest,
   Slumber now and take Thy rest.

No comments: