Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Never Enough


"I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE" is God's only answer to Moses who has asked for a name.  This response enriches our prayer life.  Sometimes we catch ourselves thinking that God is just like us, only bigger and more powerful.  Far from it!  The story of the Burning Bush does give us a glimpse of what God is like, but at the same time we're told that God is Mystery, Ultimate Reality that can never be completely captured by a name.
Our prayer is enriched because we can never get enough of God.  This is one instance where we can have our cake and eat it too.  No matter how well we get to know God, there is always more to know, more to love.  Just as I like a poem whose meaning I have to work out for myself, I am drawn to a God who does not make himself completely clear, who is always drawing us deeper and deeper into a more and more intimate relationship. 
The Divine Fire intrigues and attracts us; we remove our shoes and approach in awe.  We long to lose ourselves in these Flames of Love that consume without destroying.

No comments: