Wednesday, January 16, 2013

St. Paul the Hermit


A friend emailed me to tell me that today is the feast of St. Paul the Hermit.  I didn't remember hearing about him, so I looked him up. 
He lived from about 229 to 342.  Born in Egypt and orphaned at 15, he went into hiding to escape the persecution of Christians under Emperor Decius.  When he was 22 he fled to the desert when he found out that his brother-in-law, who wanted Paul's estate, was going to report him for being a Christian.
The life of a hermit suited him, so he stayed in the desert.  St. Jerome wrote a life of Paul.  Jerome visited him in the desert, thought him a very holy man, and buried Paul when he died.  He had lived to be 113 years old, more than 90 of which were spent as a hermit.
I wonder what he would think of a half-hermit.  Well, another patron.

No comments: