Wednesday, January 2, 2013

9th Day of Christmas


My father gave me this manger scene when I was little.  I was just old enough to use water colors, but obviously not old enough to have a great color sense.   Or maybe I had already wasted blue and red and green.  (Clicking on the picture enlarges it.)
As I have mentioned here before, Manger scenes had a great fascination for me as a child.  I was allowed to play with a set that we used under our tree.  I remember moving the Magi from a distance up to the stable.  I don't remember having any camels.
I also remember wondering why my Protestant relatives didn't have manger scenes.  I guess that was partly Calvin's conviction that religious statues were idols.  Then when they did get manger scenes, I wondered why there were no Magi.  Only this year did I find out that Martin Luther didn't think that the Magi recognized the divinity of Christ.  He said in a sermon, "They honored him as a king.  Nor was the worship like that done to God because, in my opinion, they did not recognize him as God.  What conversation they had with Mary and Joseph I leave to the imagination of idle minds." (quoted by Robert Kiely in an wonder-full article "A Long Journey" in December 21 issue of Commonweal)  So I guess in our mostly Protestant area that's why the Magi were eliminated.
Oddly enough, now it's easy to buy a manger scene that has Magi but no shepherds.  One of the places where I celebrate Mass has such a set.  What's that about!
Thanks to the generosity of friends and family over the years. I have a manger scene with about 30 figures.  Everybody and his brother and sister gets to come to the stable.  I regret that I didn't find the time this year to get it out.  I still have one on my mantle and two in my bedroom, enough to help me sit and reflect on the Christmas Mystery.

No comments: