Monday, August 20, 2012

Real Food and Drink


We are fortunate to live in a time when almost everybody at Mass takes Communion.  We have learned to take seriously the word's of Jesus in John 6:55-56, "My flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.  Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in them."
John uses more vivid Greek than the other three Gospel writers: "flesh" instead of "body,"
"munch" instead of "eat."  The vividness of these words drives home Jesus' meaning that we really are to feed on his flesh and drink his blood, if we want him to remain in us and us to remain in him.
If Jesus wanted us just to adore him in the Sacrament, he would not have given himself to us in such common symbols as bread and wine. 
Jesus is always pointing to the Father.  The Mass is centered on God.  Jesus calls us to eat and drink his flesh and blood so that we will be united to him in his dying and rising and go with him into the loving embrace of our Father.

No comments: