Thursday, March 19, 2020

7th Anniversary of Mercy


This window of St. Joseph at work is in a church I visited in the Holy Land years ago. Today is his feast.
Today is also the 7th Anniversary of Pope Francis' Inauguration as Bishop of Rome.  I thought it was too much to ask God for a progressive pope, so I prayed for a man who loved the world and believed in the Second Vatican Council.  God blessed us with way more than that. 
The Gospel story for the first Sunday after his election was about how Jesus showed mercy to the woman caught in adultery, when her accusers wished to stone her to death. In his homily Francis said, Jesus has this message for us: mercy.  I think--and I say it with humility--this is the Lord's most powerful message: mercy." As the leader of our church Francis has shown mercy and urged us, the Church, to show mercy.

No comments: