Friday, February 5, 2016

The Revenant


Very light snow blown from the pines and illuminated by the sun.
A week ago I saw the movie The Revenant which I liked very much.  DiCaprio's powerful performance as Glass almost takes second place to the extraordinarily beautiful scenery.  To my mind the beauty kept the movie from being grim.
I also found enough religious meaning to be convinced that the movie is about salvation.  It begins and ends with water, a symbol of life.  There are several mentions of God.  A lone Indian that shares his food with Glass tells him that revenge if up to the Creator.  Glass has a dream/vision of a ruined church with faded religious images painted on the wall, including a crucifixion.  Webster's definition of "revenant" as "one that returns after death or a long absence" made me think of resurrection.

No comments: