Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Mary Oliver


Today's the birthday of Mary Oliver, a poet whom I like.  Someone recommended her to me about two years ago and I bought a slim volume of her poems titled Evidence.
She had me with the very first poem "Yellow:"
"There is the heaven we enter
  through institutional grace
  and there are yellow finches bathing and singing
  in the lowly puddle."
This brief poem promised that Mary Oliver was a poet after my own heart, one who finds God in the world around her.  In "It Was Early," after describing meeting mice and mink and pines, she writes:
"Sometimes I need
  only to stand
  wherever I am
  to be blessed."
Her poetry itself opens my eyes to the Divine in simple things.  I envy her ability to express it so simply.  Since it's her birthday, I'll include the last two lines from "Halleluiah:"
"Halleluiah, I'm sixty now, and even a little more,
  and some days I feel I have wings."















No comments: