Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Common Weal


Time for changing.
Commonweal is my favorite magazine.  It's put out by Catholic laypeople.  I started reading it in the  library when I was in high school seminary because I liked the movie reviewer, Philip Hartung.  Gradually I began reading more articles and found that it reflected and influenced my liberal bent.
The word "commonweal" is an old word meaning "the general welfare" or "the common good."  In chapter 2 of St. Paul's letter to the Philippians he is encouraging them to be of one mind.  He says, "Let each of you look, not to your own interests, but to the interest of others."  The common good is not a popular concept in our culture and politics these days.  Self-centered, self-seeking, selfish are more accurate descriptions of the popular mind.
Jesus is a man for others.  He lives in us and can help us to live for others, for the common good.

No comments: