Monday, August 4, 2014

Love Comes in Silence

 

Silent mornings on the Lake.  Silent winter nights.  Last night I walked outside before going up to bed. Total silence!   I wrote recently about God coming in beauty and in goodness and evolution.  Today I've been reflecting on Love coming in silence.
This morning I used 1 Kings 19:8-13 for prayer.  The Holy One comes to the prophet Elijah in "the sound of sheer silence."  Trying to get away from his enemies, Elijah has walked for forty days and forty nights to the mountain of Horeb (Sinai) where long before Love came to Moses in the Burning Bush.  Elijah hides in a cave.  God tells him to stand at the entrance of the cave.  Love does not come in spectacular ways as to Moses, but in "the sound of sheer silence."
This story encourages me as I wait in silence for Love to come to me in centering prayer.  I can't do anything to make God show Godself, but I can quiet my body and mind in readiness.  We live in a world of sound.  Often Love comes to us in some of those sounds, but God's first language is silence.

No comments: