Thursday, February 13, 2014

Free Choice


I walked at my usual time this morning since the temperature was already 21 and there was no wind.  12 inches of snow at 10 AM.  I don't know what it is now at 2 PM.  Walking in the still falling snow I am wrapped in Beauty.  There is not enough room in my heart for the joy that I feel.
Trying to decide which of the pictures I took might show how deep the snow is was an exercise in the free choice that is the author's concern in Sirach 15:11-20, part of which is Sunday's first reading.  The author is really defending God against claims that God is responsible for our doing bad things, but he ends up with the clearest statement of free will in the Old Testament.
In the second reading, 1 Corinthians 2:6-10, St. Paul tells us, "No eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him."  It is the Holy Spirit who takes us into the Mystery that is God.  All the Beauty that we experience around us is only a hint.

No comments: