Saturday, December 14, 2013

Sunday for Rejoicing


We had about 2 or 3 inches of snow when I went out to walk this morning.  The temperature was 30.  The snow was still coming down thick.  This was the best picture I could get of the snow in the air.  I also wanted to show that the road still had no tire tracks.  Walking in freshly fallen snow takes me out of myself into pure joy.
This Advent I have felt exceptionally mellow.  Last December some worries threw a cloud over Advent and Christmas for me.  So this year, I guess, it's like I haven't celebrated the season for two years. 
Some of my joy comes from the beauty of works of art, music, movies, literature that have recently enriched my life.  My prayer life has been going well.  That has been helped along by The Cloud of Unknowing, a 14th century religious classic that I am reading.  I feel close to God.
It doesn't hurt either to have a Holy Father who loves the world and believes in the Second Vatican Council.  Last year at this time who would have thought that a pope would be Time magazine's Person of the Year.  Francis cheers me.
It is still snowing.

No comments: