Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hallowed


I was in New York City recently.  I went to the National September 11 Memorial.  I didn't know what to expect.  I had seen no pictures.  I was overwhelmed by its enormity and beauty.  I immediately thought of baptism: dying into new life.  It is a holy place.
The Memorial consists of two pools set in the footprints of the Twin Towers that were destroyed on September 11, 2001.  Thirty foot waterfalls cascade down the four walls of each pool and within a short space plunge into a large square void in its center.
I remembered the horrifying sight of the crumbling, collapsing Towers on TV that morning twelve years ago.  I prayed for those who had been killed in all the attacks that day: 2,977 people from more than 90 nations.  I heard the many foreign languages and accents around me and thought of the whole world mourning.  I hoped that the beauty of these enormous pools and the falling water would help to heal the world's wounds.

No comments: