Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pope's Retirement


Sunset the evening after I returned from the Caribbean.  We have seldom seen anything as dramatic as this in the islands.   The sun just goes down.
On vacation we were speculating one day about the next pope, never dreaming that we would get the dramatic news not long after we returned home that he was resigning.  I admire Pope Benedict for doing this.  I wish we could call it "retirement" as I did in the title.  Resignation sounds too much like quitting before a job is done.  Retirement recognizes that one doesn't have the stamina to continue doing a good job.  I hope it also sets a precedent.  I wonder if that was his intent.
The announcement has been the occasion for lots of blistering criticisms and gentle evaluations.  And for prayers for Pope Benedict as he leaves and for the new person who is coming.  I pray that the Holy Spirit will work in the hearts of the cardinals to give us someone who loves the world and who believes in the Vatican Council.

No comments: