Friday, October 5, 2012

Canterbury Pilgrimage

 

I went to England recently for two weeks.  My main goal was a religious pilgrimage to Canterbury Cathedral.  I was not disappointed.
The lighted candle in this picture marks the spot where a shrine containing St. Thomas a Becket's body stood for several centuries before Henry VIII destroyed it.  The picture looks down the main aisle of  Canterbury Cathedral towards the entrance. 
Not far from this spot in the 12th century Thomas, the archbishop, was murdered during vespers by four knights from King Henry II's court.  Almost immediately the cathedral became a very popular place of pilgrimage.  I was pleased to be a pilgrim among the 800 years of pilgrims who flocked here.
Near the lighted candle I found a quiet corner where I could sit and pray.  God drew me into some time of deep prayer.  Before leaving the cathedral I asked St.Thomas to pray for the healing of my many small infirmities.  I also prayed that I might know when to stand and when to fold, when to follow my conscience and speak truth to authority and when to let go of an issue and keep my peace.
The night before last I watched the old movie "Becket" with Richard Burton as the archbishop and Peter O'Toole as Kind Henry II, two powerful actors.  The movie extended my pilgrimage to Canterbury.

No comments: