Friday, September 14, 2012

Who do you say that I am?


My bougainvillea aglow with morning light.  I tried to grow one once before and failed.  This one has flourished.  The first winter I brought it in, it was full of blossoms.  Last winter not so much.  It has gotten so big it almost demands its own room.  I like the way this picture seems to hint at an inner light.
So I thought it might be appropriate to help me pray about Mark 8:27-30 in which Jesus asks his disciples, "Who do you say that I am?"  They don't see him glowing with Divinity.  Jesus looks like a merely human being to his disciples, though there is something about him that attracts them.  In Mark's Gospel they never quite understand him.  In this passage Jesus forces the issue by asking them what they think of him.
I have often taken this question very personally.  I can get caught up in the whole Catholic religion thing and the politics of the institution and lose track of who is at the heart of it.  Hearing Jesus ask me, "Who do you say that I am?" pushes me to look once more at what he means to me.  Completely
human and completely divine.  I guess my simplest answer is "Everything! You mean everything to me."

No comments: