Friday, June 29, 2012

Free America


The sun setting behind a furled flag is a warm reminder of our freedom.
I suppose it's anybody's guess which weekend to celebrate the 4th of July this year, so I guess I will celebrate this weekend leading up to the 4th.
A long time ago when Poland was still under Communist rule, a young couple somehow got out and came to our coutry, and to the community where I was pastor.  I found out that they were coming to church the following Sunday so I called some Polish friends to find out how to say in Polish "Welcome to the United States!"  My friends told me that people in Poland called our country "Free America," not the United States.   In a country where religion was suppressed, the United States stood as a model of freedom of religion.
We are proud of our freedom and happy to be a sign of hope to the many people of the world who still do not enjoy the freedom we have.

No comments: