Friday, May 4, 2012

Half-Hidden Violets


Violets have been among my favorite flowers since I was a child.  I can remember picking them in an empty lot by the creek and taking them home to my mother.  I don't know whether this is a single, vivid memory or something that I did so often it sticks in my mind.  The violets were often half-hidden in higher grass.
It's probably why I like so much Wordsworth's poem She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways.  It's about a "maid" named Lucy who "lived unknown."  The second stanza:
"A violet by a mossy stone
   Half hidden from the eye;
 Fair as a star, when only one
   Is shining in the sky."
I am going back and reading my journals that I started in the seminary.  I am surprised at how half-hidden I often kept myself.  Even though I had a lot of prominent jobs and offices, when there was no task to be done, in a group I tended to sit quietly not saying much.  I had half-forgotten how painful this was.  I wonder if that's one reason that violets appeal to me.  Maybe subconsciously, even as a little child, I wanted to keep to myself.  I do not miss the appropriateness of this blog's name.

No comments: