Friday, May 27, 2011

Intermingling

 
Posted by Picasa

This is one of my favorite pictures from the Northwest, a full fresh water stream, spreading itself on the beach, and mingling with the salt water of the ocean.
In his book about Celtic spirituality, "Anam Cara," John O'Donohue talks of the body in the soul rather than the soul in the body. This outlook has made a difference in my prayer and in my relationship with God and with others.
It gives me a new insight into John 14:20 where Jesus says to his disciples at the Last Supper, "I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you." Thinking of my body in my soul helps me to imagine my soul able to touch other souls and mingle with them and with Jesus and with his Father. This happens, not like the fresh water's being completely absorbed into the salt sea, but with each of us remaining our individual selves while being one with each other and with God.
Then I can think of the Holy Spirit as the bond of love between Jesus and his Father and that same Spirit as a kind of ocean of Love in which my soul intermingles with every other human soul.

No comments: