Saturday, January 17, 2009

Stay

 

The temperature on my deck this morning was sixteen below zero! I don't remember ever seeing a number that low on that thermometer. That kind of cold forces us to stay inside.
I have been reflecting all week on the verb "stay" as it is used in John's Gospel. The Greek verb is of special importance to John. It can be translated "stay," "remain," "dwell," "abide." It carries a notion of permanence.
In the first chapter of John's Gospel Jesus turns to two men who are following him and, in the first words that he says in this Gospel, asks, "What are you looking for?" A question for all us.
They respond, "Where are you staying?" Jesus says,"Come and see." They went and saw where he was staying and they stayed with him.
In chapter 15 of the same Gospel, Jesus says "Remain in me and I in you. As a branch cannot bear fruit all by itself, unless it remains part of the vine, neither can you unless you remain in me....Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love."
That abiding, loving presence is the answer to the question, "What are you looking for?"
Posted by Picasa

No comments: