Friday, June 20, 2008

Butterfly God

 

I was eating breakfast on the side deck this morning when this butterfly fluttered into these flowers. At first it almost buried itself in them, like it was rolling around in sweetness. I was tempted to jump and get my camera, but I decided to surrender to the beauty rather than try to capture it. That is always an argument that I have with myself: surrender or capture? The butterfly would stay on the flowers for a few minutes. Then it would fly away, but within just a few seconds it would return. It kept doing this, as if were trying to tear itself away but couldn't. Addicted. I remembered trying to tear myself away from the Grand Canyon and yet stopping at every overlook to let the grandeur possess me.
I stopped eating and just watched the butterfly. It was so persistent I began to think maybe it was an omen. Someone had died and was letting me know they were caught up in Beauty. That's too Irish! Then I was satisfied that Beauty simply had chosen that way to reveal Itself to me. I got up to get some tea and when I came back the butterfly was still coming and going. Maybe it wants its picture taken. So I went and got my camera and have some wonder-full shots.
Surrender or capture? There is no word, no concept that can adequately capture God, but sometimes we keep trying to get It all in. The best we can do is surrender to the Mystery.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: