Thursday, June 14, 2018

Unobserved Growth


Every summer Saturday evening when I was about ten an evangelical group worshiped in an open space downtown in a way that they could be heard even up on the hills that surrounded the town.  My father and I were walking on the path over the hill to church for confession.  I started laughing and making fun of their worship service.  My father stopped and turned to me and simply said, "We don't make fun of other people's religion."  It was many years later when the ecumenical movement was just beginning that I worked hard to help people understand each other's religion.
Jesus said, "The Reign of God is like a man who scattered seed on the land.  Night and day, while he sleeps, when he is awake, the seed is sprouting and growing; how, he does no know" (Mark 4:26-27.)

No comments: