Monday, April 3, 2017

Your Will Be Done


Georgia O'Keefe's Black Cross, New Mexico.
Suffering and death have no value in themselves.  The Gospel writers spend very few words describing the pain  that Jesus experiences.  They have much more to say about its meaning.  That's what we spend time with in our prayer.
Matthew stresses Jesus' obedience to his father's will.  In the olive grove Jesus prays, "My father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from me.  Yet not as I will but as you will."  Matthew is the only Gospel writer who gives the words that Jesus prays the second time.  It's as though in the meantime Jesus realizes that his death is part of his father's plan.  "My father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, your will be done."  Those last words are in the prayer that Jesus taught us to say to our father.

No comments: