Thursday, April 9, 2015

Being Not Doing


I've been keeping this blog for eight years.  I started April 9, 2007, at the urging of a friend.  It's easy to go down the column on the right and click on the date to read some of my early entries, several without pictures.
My earliest inspiration to spend a lot of my retirement time here in contemplation will continue to be my goal in this extra time that God has given me.
Patricia Hempl asked a 60 year old nun who had been a contemplative since she was 19,
"Can you say what the core of contemplative life is?'
Without hesitation the nun said, "Leisure."
When I told a monk working in the monastery garden that friends didn't agree with my plans for retirement, he said, "People have a hard time understanding that being is more valuable than doing."

No comments: