Thursday, February 26, 2015

79


Reaching my 79th birthday three months after a heart attack and open heart surgery provokes some soul searching questions about what God has in mind for me.  I woke during the night remembering some of the thinking I went through before retiring.
A big influence on my thinking then and still is this quote I came across years ago from Dorothy Day when she was thinking about her retirement:
"Buddhists teach that a person's life is divided into three parts: the first part for education and growing up; the second for continued learning, through marriage and raising a family, involvement with the life of the mind, the senses, and the spirit; and the third period, the time of withdrawal from responsibility, letting go of the things of this life, letting God take over."
I pray today that I can keep doing that, even more completely

No comments: