Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Water Gushing


Small waterfall near the bottom of Spring Lick.
The story of Jesus talking with the woman at the well (John 4: 5-42) has always held a great appeal for me.  This morning in prayer I asked myself why.  I think it has to do with the casual approach Jesus makes to this woman.  It reminds me how easy he is with me as well, and with anyone he chooses to approach.
It is so attractive in him that he doesn't make anything of the woman's loose behavior.  He mentions it and it's forgotten.  Neither he nor his disciples nor the author of the Gospel feel any need to revisit the issue and make sure the woman cleans up her act.  Jesus uses her and any of us, no matter what we may have done, to call other people to him.  We can be sure that he will also deal with all of them with the same non-judgmental attitude.  He accepts us as we are and loves us into the persons we could become.
The life Jesus gives us is as abundant as water gushing from a spring.

No comments: