Thursday, September 12, 2013

Flight 93 Memorial


Yesterday I went to the Flight 93 Memorial in southwestern Pennsylvania.  It was a pretty day for the hour and half drive.  And a thought provoking day.
I had been to this crash site several months after the September 11, 2001, attacks.  The new approach is very different.  You enter now from Route 30 and drive three and a half miles along a new winding road.  Plenty of parking.  An attractive plaza and initial gathering place.  Then a long walkway to what is called "The Wall of Flames," a large, long, interesting wall with the name of a person killed on each panel.  I took this picture with the wall on my left so I would be looking at the small hill where the plane came over before it burned along the ground and plunged into the earth about 200 feet behind where I'm standing.  I presumed it burned a wide path which would explain the name of the wall. 
The crater was 15 feet deep and 30 feet wide.  It is now covered by a very large stone.  Yesterday family members, the only ones allowed near the stone, has placed a lot of flowers on it.
An excellent movie "Flight 93" was made in 2006 about the terrible incident.  I kept thinking of it as I was wandering around the site.  I am most impressed with the courage that the passengers showed in taking control of the plane.  I prayed for them and their families and for an end to war and this kind of violence.

No comments: