Thursday, June 6, 2013

Growing in God


Portland, Oregon, is famous for its Rose Garden, which we visited during my visit there.  This is a particularly striking beauty.
Reading about Franciscan spirituality for my retreat has got me thinking about what my own spirituality is like.  The first time I remember using the term was in 3rd year college in the seminary.  My confessor, Gene Walsh, had me read a paper he wrote about Sulpician spirituality.  Briefly it stressed the presence of Christ within us, living out the various mysteries of his life as we celebrate them during the liturgical year.
I enjoyed meditation throughout my years in the seminary.  It gradually shaded into contemplation.  After ordination, praying over Scripture became an important part of my daily routine.  In 1980 I began doing centering prayer and have continued that to the present.  That was shaped and promoted by the Trappists, so my spirituality owes a lot to theirs.
In late high school years I was especially struck by St. Paul's verse, "I live, now not I, but Christ lives in me" (Galatians 2:20.)  This awareness grew in me through Sulpician spirituality and through centering prayer.
In 1973 I read Burtchell's Philemon's Problem which greatly intensified my appreciation that God's love was not earned, that it was freely given.  The growing awareness of God's gracious love and of the presence of Jesus within me are probably the foundation of my spirituality now.

No comments: