Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I know my sheep


It looks like this pair of tree swallows is now in control of the bluebird house.  I can't be sure because they all look alike.  How do they tell each other apart?
Many years ago I became friends with a couple from Korea.  After we knew each other for several years, the wife one day asked me, "How do you tell each other apart?  You all look alike to us."  I laughed and told her that they all look alike to us as well.  It's only after I got to know them, that I could tell them apart from other Koreans.
Sheep all look alike to me, but I read that each shepherd in the time of Jesus could tell his sheep apart, maybe even giving them names.  That may still be true of a man who has a small number of sheep. 
We are told that in the time of Jesus the sheep recognized their shepherd's voice and came to him when he called them.  He did not herd them from behind as we might see large flocks today.  They followed him because they knew his voice.
In John 10:27 Jesus says, "My sheep hear my voice.  I know them, and they follow me."  In  this passage he is distinguishing his followers from those who do not believe in him.  So they not only recognize his voice but they believe what he says.  They really hear him.
I find it very heartwarming that Jesus knows us, not only as his flock, but as each individual member of his flock.  In last week's Gospel he referred to us as his "dear little sheep."  We certainly relate to Jesus as members of the Church, but we remain individuals whom he knows intimately and cares for lovingly.  Why wouldn't we follow him!

No comments: