Friday, October 7, 2011

In You who strengthen me

 

The biggest thrill I had in Germany was being on the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain at 9,700 feet. We went up on a lift. The people in the picture could then climb a little higher to where the cross was mounted. That looked like quite a feat.
I have been meditating on Philippians 4:10-20 which contains a verse that I pray every morning when I get out of bed: "I can do all things in him who strengthens me." I change it to "You who strengthen me." In the passage Paul is thanking this community whom he loves so much for the money they have sent him. He explains that he has not lacked anything. "I have I learned to live modestly and I have learned to live luxuriously....I can do all things in him who strengthens me."
Paul expresses very well his total dependence on God, his full awareness that everything he does is God working through him.
Knowing he can count on God no matter what circumstances he finds himself in, Paul finds the courage to spread the Gospel around the Mediterranean. Whether climbing the highest mountain or telling people about Jesus, the strength comes from God within.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: