Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Time Goes

 

Across the morning sky all the birds are leaving
Ah! how can they know it's time for them to go....
But I will still be here.
I have no thought of leaving....
I do not fear the time.
Who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?
--Sandy Denny
A few days ago as I took my morning walk I heard this flock of Canada geese coming and shot straight up, just barely catching the end of the flock. They hang around the lake all summer but they seem all gone now.
I love Judy Collins singing "Who Knows Where the Time Goes." I listen to it more often at this time of year. I am listening to it now as I write. There is a kind of melancholy about it, a feeling that I associate with this dying time of year.
There have been a lot of deaths and funerals these past two weeks. "Time for them to go." Makes me think of my own death and of death in general. The loving embrace in which God holds us here continues into hereafter. By his dying and rising Jesus has transformed death from a blank wall that could stop us cold into a door that opens onto a new life filled with joy and peace.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: