Wednesday, July 29, 2009

More Than Enough

 

The only miracle of Jesus that is reported in all four gospels is his feeding 5000 with five loaves and two fish. But none of the gospel writers stop there. Each of them goes on to say that, even though people had their fill, there was food left over. In Second Kings 4:43-44 after Elisha has fed 100 men with 20 barley loaves and some grain, he tells his servant that the Lord said, "They shall eat and have some left over." And sure enough there is some left over. The fact that food is left over seems to be part of these two miracles.
That got me thinking that God doesn't just meet a need. God does more than is necessary. God is always more than enough.
The sun could simply rise and set. This brilliant splendor is not needed. But God goes beyond what's needed. Robinson Jeffers says God's "signature is the beauty of things." Three years ago when I started my retirement I intended a sort of hermit existence. God has blessed me with way more than I needed or expected. Lavish! Superfluous! More than enough.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: