Monday, May 25, 2009

Rest in Peace

 

These yellow poppies were growing in my sister's yard in Portland, Oregon, where I just visited. I vaguely remembered "Poppy Day," when we bought artificial poppies and wore them to honor dead soldiers.
Memorial Day was started to honor those Union soldiers who were killed in the Civil War. It was expanded after World War I to include all those Americans killed in war or military action.
As I was praying that they might rest in peace, I thought that I would pray for everybody throughout the world who had died in war, including our enemies. As I prayed it occured to me that in heaven they would all not only be at peace with God and in themselves, but with one another. No one would be enemies in heaven. Then I prayed that that may soon be true here on earth.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: