Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring Thaw

 

The Lake melted last Sunday. It was all ice on Saturday. On Sunday I went away in the dark in the morning and came back in the dark in the evening. Monday morning I thought that something looked different, but for a moment or two I didn't realize that there was no ice anywhere.
These ducks found out quickly enough. They showed up Monday and today seem to have gone on. I think most of them were buffleheads. At one point a Canada goose landed among them, but I didn't see any of his buddies. As I tried to get close enough to get a good picture of these ducks I flushed four out of a ditch about four feet in front of me. The ditch is deep and I hadn't seen them. They scared me and were gone before I could think of snapping a picture.
This morning I noticed a tree swallow checking out the blue bird house that I keep in the front yard. The tree swallows come early and almost always claim the house well before the blue birds arrive.
The coming of the birds and the thawing of the Lake seem to loosen up something inside me and make me think of change and New Life.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: